The Virtual Survey Lab will marshal a wide range of data, models, analytical and informatics tools to enable researchers and stakeholders to access, exploit and enhance these elements as a harmonised research resource. It will provide integrated access to a wide range of data collected both by UKCEH and collaborating organisations. Alongside these data will be a suite of tools enabling users to work with and analyse the data, including for spatial upscaling, modelling data from multiple sources and exploring uncertainty in process-based models. As well as datasets and analytical tools, we will also generate maps of the current status of key environmental indicators across the UK. The Virtual Survey Lab will be one of several Virtual Data Labs that are component of the developing UKCEH Data Science Framework.
- To develop the components of a Data Science Framework (DSF) required to produce integrated data products utilising the data collected within the UK-SCAPE program and from external sources.
- To develop statistical routines to analyse data across different spatial and temporal scales and from different sources to produce a series of highly resolved spatio-temporal data products.
- To make these products discoverable and accessible to the wider scientific community and prioritised to address questions and fill gaps in other areas of the UK-SCAPE programme.
- To test the efficiency of ongoing monitoring and, in the context of answering specific questions, highlight where we should direct monitoring campaigns and prioritise effort.
- To provide a platform for the integration of monitoring data provided by a range of partners from across terrestrial, atmospheric and freshwater habitats.